Thursday, July 14, 2011

Introducing... Smudge, our new Connemara Pony


We looked high and low in the state of Virginia and finally found our pony at the top of a mountain!  I can't describe the beauty and had NO time to really photograph what we were driving by as we were on a mission to see a number of horses and ride them in 90+ heat.  It was a lot of driving and tiring, but rewarding in the end.  

I am back in North Carolina and will pick Smudge up the beginning of August.  So, this is a teaser... come back tomorrow to see the unveiling!  The photo below is for "The Creative Exchange".


The first photo below is for "Perceptive Perspectives" - theme "Your Choice".  This gorgeous stallion below is a Gypsy Vanner (or Gypsy Cob).  I ran into him in the Appalachian Mountains and HAD to photograph this handsome horse.  These grand horses were bred in Romani to pull wagons (vardos).  They are a recently recognized breed.  The first registered horses were imported to North America in 1996.   


15 comments:

Shirley said...

Does this mean that Caviar is out?
I'll be here tomorrow to check out Smudge. That is the same name as the horse that Shelby (trick rider at the Calgary Stampede) got from her aunt, who's blog is Just Another Day on the Prairie.

Margaret said...

...yes, Cavy is out. Such a heart-wrenching choice, but Smudge is a size we won't ever grow out of. My girls will never be big and tall and Smudge is JUST shy of 14 hands. Since we aren't showing, the "fit" doesn't have to be perfect.. if the heels hang a bit low, that is OK. Smudge is an AWESOME trail horse - I will post more about that tomorrow! :)

Mary S said...

How exciting! I've heard great things about the breed. Did you find a horse? What did you think of Cisco?

Margaret said...

Mary, I loved Cisco, but I wouldn't put my "green" girls on him. It broke my heart and I will be posting about him... Getting two was out as I spent more on Smudge than I had planned... I guess it just wasn't the right time. :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Smudge sounds awesome. Love those Connemara Ponies, they are one of the best breeds. Good luck and I'll be back to see and hear more about him.

G-Man said...

Margaret...
I was in Virginia last week as well, had I known your were there I'd have looked for you!
Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog.
You are such a busy person I don't know where you muster up all your energy from.
Thank You for your blog friendship, you ROCK!!!!!

Dom said...

How exciting :)

Anonymous said...

That silhouette shot is a lovely teaser - can't wait to "see" Smudge! I've read about the Gypsy Van horses - this one's a beauty!

Lisa Gordon said...

CONGRATULATIONS Margaret, and this silhouette is absolutely gorgeous.

Cannot wait to see Smudge!

I hope your Thursday was a wonderful one in every way.

Lisa Gordon said...

Oooops!
Got carried away with the horse!

Thank you for sharing this photograph and your wonderful news with us at The Creative Exchange!

Anonymous said...

Love your images! Especially the second one. I'd love to paint that! :)

duchess_declutter said...

Oh this is exciting news! Love your two *teaser* silhouette photos. I think that Smudge's height and confirmation looks just right.... now just to guess the colouring.....
cheers Wendy

Margaret said...

Grey Horse Matters, G-Man, Dom, Bailey Road, Lisa, Pam & Duchess: Thank you for enjoying the cliff-hanger. It is funny, because when I was there taking a look at Smudge I almost forgot to take photos - so I don't have that many. ME... forget to take photos... I was busy weighting the pros and cons ... and riding her myself through the trials of the mountains...

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Awesome horse. I LOVE your photos!

Laurie Kolp said...

Your photography is amazing... beautiful horse!