Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hangin' with the boys...


All of these photos were taken with my pocket size Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS.  For a tiny camera I think it does a pretty good job.  I still prefer my Canon EOS Rebel T2i, but the "Elph" is easy to take on the horseback rides.  But first, I had to get Oberon in the big back pasture where he spent the night with all the geldings for the first time... do you see them back there?


I worried a bit... but I guess everyone learns who to hang with and Oberon wasn't easily frightened - which surprised me as he is the smallest one out there.  He appears relaxed until the last minute and then he puts that QH butt in gear and easily outmaneuvers the bullies.  Actually, these two were pretty friendly - I guess they just had a small "tiff".  But Oberon knows who his buds are...


Buddy (above) and Mystic (below) are his normal "roommates".



He looked up at me and ran away once.  First time he has done that.  So I pretended like I wasn't after him anyway and petted a few of the others and scratched their faces.  I rode Oberon on the trail as it was quite hot today and the shade felt great.  This was only his third time on this trail and he was excellent even though he was by himself - and I rode him with a very loose rein.  I'm really falling in love with this boy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the way he has one ear back listening to you! That's a fabulous looking trail.

Margaret said...

He is such a good boy... I waited forever for him to put both ears forward. I got a few shots, but they were blurry.

in2paints said...

Sounds like he was a good boy! It's nice when they plod along on a loose rein. :) Looks like a gorgeous day for a trail ride too.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

What a beautiful place to ride! And it sounds like you have just the right horse. :)

sally said...

What gorgeous pictures of the horses all out being just 'horses'. I love the look of your trail.....what a nice place to ride on a hot day.Glad your new boy is being such a goodie!!!

smazourek said...

I have an Elph too, mine is ancient, at least that's what the salesguy told me when I went to buy a new battery after the original one refused to recharge.

Kim said...

Ears back are a good thing, right? As long as they aren't too far back! Looks like it was a nice ride. I'm trying to get my girl ready to ride on the property behind us. We are walking it right now.

Debi said...

Beautiful pictures. It looks like he is settling in pretty good. I can tell there is love already.