Saturday, November 19, 2011

Colt Starting Competition 2011



James Cooler is the trainer of my 3-1/2 year old Friesian sport horse gelding and the manager at the barn where I keep both my horses.  I am also taking lessons from him in ground work and riding my Quarter Horse gelding.

Last weekend I attended the Colt Starting competition at Chatham Hill in Virginia.    James Cooler was one of three natural horsemanship trainers to be selected to participate in this year's competion.

Mary of "Galloping Mind" documented the event quite well, I thought, so for Part I &  for Part II click on the links.  Tom Seay of "America on Horseback" was host and Ken McNabb of RFD-TV show "Discovering the Horseman Within" was lead judge.


And a "just because" photo of Sebastian about a month ago...


6 comments:

Liesl said...

Wish we had seminars like that close by! We have 4 youngsters to be started soon!

Achieve1dream said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I actually spent over an hour reading back through your blog yesterday lol. I love Sebastian. He is so gorgeous.

Chrome's dam was 14.3hh and his sire 16.2hh so in between would be around 15.3hh, but he's already 15.1hh almost 15.2hh. When I measured his cannon bone that said he would make 16hh, but who knows if it's actually accurate. On the smallest side I want him to make at least 16hh. I'm 5'11" so I prefer taller horses. I rode a Thoroughbred/Appaloosa cross who was 16.1hh in dressage lessons a while ago and I loved him, so that would be a good height. I'm not really picky so long as he reaches 16hh.

How tall are Sebastian's parents? He's 15.3hh now right? And 3 1/2 years old . . . he may very well reach over 16hh. :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Looks like an interesting clinic. Great photo of your boy.

Anonymous said...

He has his work cut out for him, doesn't he... but what a cool job, too! Horses are so cool & incredibly beautiful! =)

smazourek said...

I personally don't think very much of colt starting clinics, too much to do and WAY, WAY too little time.

Your photos are absolutely beautiful, I've just had a good time looking through your archives :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful photographs of performance horses you have here. What a privileged you have to witness such eventful colt starting completion with those well known horsemanship trainer.